I keep hearing about all these diet trends….the fat flush, the lemonade diet, the cabbage soup diet (OMG!!) It is very common for people to look for a quick fix where weight loss is concerned, but please remember to keep it healthy. One thing that I want everyone to remember is that DIETS DON’T WORK. Most diets are based on deprivation and difficult to continue long term. Do you really want to have cabbage soup all day, every day? While these extreme dieting tactics will result in rapid weight loss, you are likely to gain it all back within a short period of time. Deprivation often results in binge eating all the treats you did not allow yourself to have, defeating the purpose of your diet.
The alternative solution is to commit to making a lifestyle change as opposed to a short term means to an end. Learn how to eat clean while continuing to enjoy your favorite treats. How? I incorporate the 80/20 rule into my lifestyle. This means that 80% of my meals are clean, consisting of complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables, lean meat, fish, and lots of water. I have little to no carbonated beverages, refined sugars or processed foods. The other 20% is where I allow myself to indulge a bit with the tasty treats and snacks that I enjoy. I happen to have one heck of a sweet tooth. Chocolate and ice cream are my vices, but I have them in moderation and I exercise regularly. It’s also a good idea to learn how to cook your favorite high calorie meals by substituting with healthier ingredients. This way, you get the same great taste with less fat and less calories.
COMMIT TO CREATING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE!
Here are some other things to remember during your weight loss journey:
1. Be sure to consult with your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
2. Calories in, calories out….create a calorie deficit by burning off more calories than you take in. You should lose weight at a healthy rate of 1-3 lbs per week. For beginners, try exercising for a minimum of 30 minutes per day, 3 days per week.
3. You don’t have to eat less, you just have to eat right. In the same manner that a car needs gas to run, your body needs fuel to function. Feeding yourself nutrient rich foods combined with a great workout plan will help your body function more efficiently, increase your metabolic rate and turn you into a calorie burning machine!
I know this can be tough at first but it gets easier. Do not quit! Pretty soon, you’ll be the epitome of health with a FAB FISIQUE to boot!
Please post a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts and questions!