June 8, 2014
This New Year, many of us said to ourselves, “I will make time for myself, I will achieve a better work/life balance, gain financial stability and be there for my friends and family. I will also begin to eat healthy and lose those unwanted pounds by the time summer rolls around.” Whew! Well summer is here, how did you make out? We all make New Year’s resolutions, but how do we stay motivated to see them through?
1. Have a plan – Set long and short term goals for yourself. Write them down in a journal along with the steps that you will take to achieve success. This may sound corny, but it is so true “When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”
2. Set realistic goals – It is okay to take small steps. Instead of vowing to lose 8 lbs per week, why not try 1-3lbs? This way, you are working within a range and you can be flexible. There is less pressure and you don’t have to beat yourself up if you fall short.
3. Get over the hump – If the hardest part of getting fit is starting the process, try to combat the obstacles by knowing what they are. If you know that going home before heading to the gym results in never making to the gym, DON’T DO IT. Pack your gym bag that morning or better yet, the night before and go straight there after work, school, etc.
4. A moment on the lips… Getting healthy isn’t just about exercise, a healthy diet is essential to reaching your fitness goals. Remember that watching what you eat is about moderation, not deprivation. You can still enjoy your favorite foods without going overboard. If you have a busy schedule and find that you skip meals, pack your lunch to ensure that your body has fuel to get through the day.
5. Don’t give up! – You can do whatever you set your mind to do. Don’t quit because you aren’t seeing results quick enough, changes happens over time but it will happen. Keep your eye on the prize and you’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish.